COVID-19 Updates and Impacted Events
Last updated July 1, 2020
The novel coronavirus continues to pose a serious threat to public health around the world. The resulting travel restrictions, coupled with the latest public health guidance from the CDC, the State of Michigan, and the University of Michigan, are resulting in several changes to the 2020/21 season. (detailed below)
UMS has added additional Safety Protocols for Live Performances & Updated FAQ. We are working with the University’s venue managers and U-M public health professionals on a plan to return to in-person performances that is informed by the health guidelines in place at the time of each concert.
UMS has also announced exciting new additional programming in the 2020/21 season — both in-person and online.
For greater flexibility this season, UMS now offers Series:You season ticket packages starting at just 3 events. You’ll save 10% off the total ticket price, with the full benefits of a subscription package, including refunds and exchanges for any event this season with no questions asked. Tickets to individual events go on sale on Monday, August 3.
Changes to the Fall 2020/21 Season
If you have purchased tickets to any of the following affected performances, you may log in to your account or contact the UMS Ticket Office to exchange your tickets online using one of these methods for each event:
- Full refund
- UMS gift certificate to be used in the next five years
- Donation of the purchase price of the ticket(s) to UMS
Please note: if you have tickets to multiple affected performances, you will need to submit a separate request for each performance. If you are paying for your subscription through installment billing or payroll deduction, please call our Ticket Office at 734-764-2538 instead of submitting your exchange request online.
9/11-12 Paul Taylor Dance Company (canceled; new digital presentation)
- PTDC has had to cancel all of its fall engagements, including our Ann Arbor performances.
- In its place, UMS will offer a free digital presentation of select Paul Taylor works, curated and hosted by PTDC artistic director Michael Novak and U-M Dance Professor and Paul Taylor historian Angela Kane. The digital presentation will be available from Friday, September 11 through Monday, September 21.
9/13 Itzhak Perlman (date changed to Sunday, April 25, 2021)
- Itzhak Perlman has rescheduled his UMS recital for Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 4 pm in Hill Auditorium, subject to an improvement in the coronavirus situation. This recital will take place almost exactly 51 years after his very first UMS appearance during the Ann Arbor May Festival.
9/30 Béla Fleck’s My Bluegrass Heart (canceled)
- The fall tour of Béla Fleck’s My Bluegrass Heart has been postponed to the 2021/22 season.
10/1 A MoodSwing Reunion (canceled)
- The fall tour of A MoodSwing Reunion has been postponed to the 2021/22 season.
10/17 Takács Quartet (modified seating; additional performances; live stream)
- The Takács Quartet will present three performances of the same abbreviated program on Fri 10/16 at 8 pm; Sat 10/17 at 8 pm; and Sun 10/18 at 4 pm. These concerts will be presented in Rackham Auditorium with significantly reduced seating capacities, and subscribers will have the option to choose which performance they wish to attend. The concert will be presented without intermission and will close with Beethoven’s String Quartet No. 15, Op. 132.
- The concert will also be live streamed.
- Please note, Jeremy Denk will not be joining the Quartet for these performances.
- See detailed information about safety protocols UMS is implementing for live performances.
10/22 City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra with Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla and Sheku Kanneh-Mason (canceled; new digital presentation)
- The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra has postponed its US tour to the 2022/23 season.
- In its place, UMS will present a free digital concert by Sheku and Isata Kanneh-Mason recorded especially for UMS audiences, available for a 10-day period in late October and including a live chat with the artists after the digital premiere.
11/13-14 Berliner Philharmoniker (canceled)
- The Berlin Philharmonic has postponed its US tour to the 2022/23 season.
11/17 Cloud Gate Dance Theatre (canceled)
- Cloud Gate has canceled its US tour. UMS is working with the company to showcase a special dance-on-camera viewing of one of the company’s signature creations. Further details will be forthcoming.