DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
Honoring Educators Who Support a Culture of the Arts In Their Schools
Each season, UMS invites the southeastern Michigan community to help us choose the DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year. The award honors educators who value the importance of arts education, who create a culture for the arts to flourish in their school communities, or use the arts to inspire, energize, and challenge the limits of their classrooms. It’s not only arts specialists who qualify, but any educator who encourages and supports an appreciation for the arts in their school.
Do you know a teacher who values the importance of arts education? An educator who creates a culture for the arts to flourish in their school community? Or uses arts strategies to inspire, energize, and challenge their students?
Join us in helping to give these exceptional educators the recognition and support they deserve.
Friday, March 29, 2024
Benefits & Eligibility
- Complimentary tickets to one UMS School Day Performance for the winning educator’s classroom, plus reimbursement for transportation (up to 35 students).
- An interaction with a visiting artist on the UMS season. The type of artist interaction will depend on artist and availability; examples include a student assembly, workshop, or meet-and-greet after the performance.
- Public recognition of awardee in local media outlets, social media platforms, their school community, school board, and district administration.
- Up to 4 complimentary tickets to a UMS performance selected from the 2024-2025 season, some restrictions may apply.
- A $250 honorarium.
- Nominees for the Educator of the Year (EOY) award may be any individual who works full-time in K-12 education with or on behalf of students or young learners.
- Previous participation in UMS programs is NOT a requirement for this award; educators are only eligible to receive the award once.
- Nominations must address the following criteria:
- How the educator actively creates a culture of the arts at their school.
- How the educator facilitates arts experiences within their school community.
- How the educator creates opportunities for students to engage with the arts experiences in the community beyond school.
- The ability of the educator to overcome obstacles and be successful.
- How the educator’s work impacts students and/or the school community.
Nomination & Selection
Nomination Process (Phase One):
- The Educator of the Year (EOY) must be nominated for the award.
- Anyone in the community can nominate an educator for the award, including administration, teachers, school staff, parents, and students (13 yrs. or older).
- Each nominator must complete an online application; incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- Each application must include one (1) brief reference from members of the school community.
Selection Process (Phase Two):
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of UMS staff and community members affiliated with the education and/or arts communities. The award committee will choose three (3) finalists.
- Each finalist will be interviewed by the committee (via zoom).
- Finalists may be asked to submit a short biography that outlines some of their career highlights.
- Finalists may submit any additional documents to support their nomination.
- All finalists, nominators, and school administration will be notified of the final outcome by email.
Announcing the 2023 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
UMS and the DTE Energy Foundation closed out 2023 with a surprise visit to Skyline High School, awarding teacher and vocal music director Lindsay CieChanski with the DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year Award.
Announcing the 2022 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
UMS and the DTE Energy Foundation are pleased to honor Washtenaw Technical Middle College teacher Emily Zdyrko as the 2022 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year.
Announcing the 2021 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
UMS and the DTE Energy Foundation are pleased to honor King Elementary and A2V+ Virtual Academy’s Laura Wayne as the 2021 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year.
Announcing the 2020 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
UMS and the DTE Energy Foundation are pleased to honor Thurston High School English teacher Rachel Bomphray as the 2020 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year.
Announcing the 2019 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
UMS and the DTE Energy Foundation are pleased to honor Scarlett Middle School band teacher Caroline Fitzgerald as the 2019 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year.
Celebrating the 2018 DTE Educators of the Year
The University Musical Society (UMS) and the DTE Energy Foundation are pleased to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. High School Teacher Denise Allen and Thurston Elementary School Teacher Yael Rothfeld as the...
Celebrating the 2017 DTE Educators of the Year
We’re pleased to honor Beacon Day Treatment Center teacher Jill Ross and Ypsilanti Community High School teacher Lynne Settles as the 2017 DTE Energy Foundation Educators of the Year.
Celebrating the 2016 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year
We're pleased to honor Ann Arbor Public School teacher Beth McNally as the 2016 DTE Energy Foundation Educator of the Year.