UMS’s Arts Roundup: November 12
By Rachelle LeskoTweet
Many members of the UMS staff keep a watchful eye on local and national media for news about artists on our season, pressing arts issues, and more. Each week, we pull together a list of interesting stories and share them with you. Welcome to UMS’s Arts Round-up, a weekly collection of arts news, including national issues, artist updates, local shout-outs, and a link or two just for fun. If you come across something interesting in your own reading, please feel free to share!
- No progress made with DSO talks, so musicians travel with self-produced concert series.
- Orchestras now join the HD-broadcast performing arts trend in an effort to entice new audiences.
- Fela! musical (which appears on UMS 10/11 NT Live series) faces $5M lawsuit.
- Ann Arbor resident and American opera star, Shirley Verrett, passes away at 79.
- 2011 Musical America Honorees are announced, including distinguished violinist Anne Sophie-Mutter (who has previously appeared under UMS auspices).
- AnnArbor.com review of the Tallis Scholars’ performance at St. Francis of Assisi.
- AnnArbor.com review of Vladimir Feltsman’s piano recital in Hill Auditorium Wednesday evening.
- U-M musical-theater alum, Darren Criss, makes his debut as a new character on the popular TV show Glee!
- Have ideas on who should perform at Ann Arbor Summer Festival’s Top of the Park this year? Submit your ideas and your wish could be granted!
Just For Fun
- Newest member of the band? Robot musician can jam and improvise with humans!