DTE School & Educator of the Year
Photo: At the 2013 award ceremony.
This season, UMS asked the southeastern Michigan community to help us choose the 2012-2013 UMS DTE Energy Foundation Educator and School of the Year. We wanted to recognize educators and learning communities doing great work integrating the arts throughout the K-12 curriculum.
2013 School of the Year:
Carpenter Elementary School, Ann Arbor for its dedication and commitment to arts education. Carpenter has become a model among its peers in the integration of arts into the curriculum, in large part because of the efforts of two teachers, Laura Machida (music) and Meredith Giltner (art), who work tirelessly to create meaningful integration and enhanced learning through the arts. They have solicited grants and parent donations to ensure that Carpenter students experience the performing arts through attendance at performances and in-school artist interactions. Additionally, they participate in UMS Teacher Workshops and integrate the arts into the curriculum at Carpenter, a Title 1 school, in ways that touch both classroom and community, from an after-school gardening program to a student art sale to benefit a family in the school community.
2013 Educator of the Year:
Matt Kazmierski, Ypsilanti Public Schools, honoring his passionate commitment to and advancement of arts education. When the Ypsilanti Public Schools moved sixth grade from middle school to elementary school, the sixth grade band program was in jeopardy. Mr. Kazmierski’s insistence on making sixth-grade band a contributing part of the YPS school-day band program increased access and visibility of the arts to more than 1,000 students, with sixth-grade band participation rising by more than 50%. Creative models of arts access like the one Mr. Kazmierski implemented in YPS will be critical to sustaining access to quality arts education in public schools.
Watch the complete 2013 award ceremony:
Details about next year’s award application process will be available soon!
• Complimentary tickets to one UMS Youth Performance in the 13/14 season for the winning educator’s classroom and for up to four classrooms at the winning school, including transportation.
• One in-school interaction by an artist in the 13/14 season for the winning educator’s classroom and at the winning school. Type of interaction will depend on artist and availability. Examples include a student assembly or workshop.
• Presentation of award at the UMS Ford Honors Gala benefitting UMS education programs.*
• Public recognition of awardees in local media outlets and to school board and district administration.
Teacher: Brian Nutting, Troy High School
School: Early College Alliance - in partnership with Washtenaw County school districts, housed on the campus of Eastern Michigan University.
Teacher: Joey Parins, Roberto Clemente Student Development Center
School: Angell Elementary, Ann Arbor Public Schools - Principal, Gary Court; Lead Teacher: Joan Singer
Teacher: Deb Clancy, Washtenaw Intermediate School District (Liaison to UMS) School: Burns Park Elementary, Ann Arbor Public Schools - Principal, Kathy Morhous; Lead Teachers: Cynthia Page-Bogen and Kate Higgins
Teacher: Mike Grace, Community High School
School: Paul Robeson Academy - Principal, Jeanette Collins; Lead Teacher, Rebeca Pietrzak
Teacher: Dan Tolly, Ann Arbor Open (Music)
School: Emerson School - Principal, Pat Adams
Teacher: Alana Barter, VSA (Southeast Michigan)
School: Mitchell Elementary School,
Ann Arbor Public Schools - Principal, Kathy Scarnacchia; Lead Teacher, Rosalie Koenig
Teacher: Michelle Peet, Ypsilanti High School (Drama)
School: Scarlett Middle School, Ann Arbor Public Schools - Principal, Ben Edmundson; Lead Teacher, Susan Buchan
Teacher: Saundra Dunn and Katy Fillion
School: Chelsea High School Special Education
2013 Selection Committee:
• Lynda Berg (UMS Senate and Retired AAPS Educator)
• Mark Clague (U-M School of Music, Theatre & Dance and UMS Board)
• Agnes Moy-Sarns (UMS Board)
• Michelle Peet (Educator, Early College Alliance at EMU)
• Brian Nutting (Band Director, Troy High School)
• Susan Bozell Craig, Mary Roeder, and Omari Rush (UMS Staff)